ST. DAVID MONASTERY OF EVIA
Saint David's monastery is very well known in Evia and all over Greece, especially after the end of the earthly course of its charismatic Abbot, elder Iakovos (Tsalikis), whose tomb is located outside the Catholicon (the main church) of the monastery. The monastery is located in the heart of a beautiful dense area in Rovies, northern Evia (in Central Greece) and is dedicated to the Transfiguration of Christ. Saint David of Euboea, who built the monastery, was the abbot of Theotokos Varnakova monastery (1520-1532) and later he left for Rovies, North Evia. In 1540 he founded the famous monastery, which now bears his name, on the ruins of a pre-existing church that had been destroyed by the Turks after the occupation of Euboea in 1470.