Saint David's monastery is very well known in Evia and all over Greece, especially after the end of the earthly course of its charismatic Abbot, elder Iakovos (Tsalikis), whose tomb is located outside the Catholicon (the main church) of the monastery. The monastery is located in the heart of a beautiful dense area in Rovies, northern Evia (in Central Greece) and is dedicated to the Transfiguration of Christ. Saint David of Euboea, who built the monastery, was the abbot of Theotokos Varnakova monastery (1520-1532) and later he left for Rovies, North Evia. In 1540 he founded the famous monastery, which now bears his name, on the ruins of a pre-existing church that had been destroyed by the Turks after the occupation of Euboea in 1470.
The Location of Galataki Monastery is really fascinating as it is constructed in 200 meters above sea level thus having a magnificent view to the Evian and the coast of Boeotia, which is situated opposite. The monastery dedicated to St. Nicholas (sea prostate) celebrates both the official celebration of St (December 6) and the May 20 anniversary of the translation of the relics. According to the most famous version, the name <Galataki> probably originates from the first after the 10th century founder, who was a master originating from Istanbul Galata (very likely be called Galataki).
Saint John the Russian (Russian: Иоанн Русский) (1690-1730) is one of the most renowned saints in the Greek Orthodox Church. Being a prisoner of war and a slave to a Turkish Agha, he became famous and respected even by his Muslim master for his humility, steadiness in faith and benevolence. His holy relics are undecayed and wonder-working; there are myths that this saint particularly helps sick children and those who suffer from cancer. His relics were brought from the village of Prokopion to Euboea by refugees from Ürgüp in Cappadocia, after the Asia Minor Disaster of 1922-24. For several decades the relics were in the church of Ss. Constantine and Helen at New Prokopion, Euboia, and in 1951 they were transferred to a new church dedicated to St John the Russian (within the new Monastery of Saint John the Russian). St. John's body is small, and he is clothed in a garment similar to an altar server. His face is dark and is covered by a gold mask; Thousands of pilgrims flock here from all the corners of Greece, particularly on his feast day (May 27).